In 2014, the first “Help Me Now” (HMN) location opened in Building 18 (near the NCRC Cafeteria), with the goal of providing convenient, no-appointment-necessary access to IT services and support in a location that is usually no more than a five-minute walk from many offices, labs, and classrooms.
Since then, Health Information Technology and Services (HITS) has opened two additional HMN locations:
- Taubman Health Sciences Library (4th floor, Office 4020)
- Towsley Center for Continuing Medical Education (G2413, near the UH Cafeteria)
Staff at all three locations are available Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (excluding U-M holidays) to help with many kinds of common IT-related questions and issues, including:
- Computer drop-off for repairs or routine maintenance
- Password assistance
- Checking out common “loaner” items such as adapters, dongles, and audio-visual equipment
- Duo two-factor authentication
- AirWatch installations on tablets, phones, and laptop computers
Together, staff at the three locations have helped Michigan Medicine faculty, physicians, researchers, students, and staff address approximately 7,500 individual issues.
HMN represents just one of the many ways HITS supports research, education, and patient care efforts across Michigan Medicine. As the institution’s major developer and provider of high-quality IT tools, services, and support, HITS is responsible for maintaining complex systems needed to collect and store sensitive patient medical records, such as MiChart. HMN staff are available to assess a wide variety of concerns, and are able to resolve most issues on-site, or route more complex problems to the appropriate HITS team for resolution.
HITS also provides expert help and resources related to:
- audiovisual and telepresence needs
- computation and data storage
- content development and publishing
- device support and connectivity
- learning technologies
- research and laboratory solutions
- support for clinical applications, such as MiChart
- virtual server and application hosting
- website development and hosting
For more information about Help Me Now, or to get help with an IT-related question or concern, contact the HITS Service Desk at (734) 936-8000 or visit hits.medicine.umich.edu.