Health research in the University of Michigan Department of Chemical Engineering includes faculty working on drug delivery, microbiology, the human microbiome, and many other disease treatments. Other faculty are working on advanced energy catalysis, energy storage, and the development of new materials, such as high strength nanocomposites and self-healing polymers.
Ralph Yang was appointed the John B. Fenn Distinguished University Professor of Engineering. Distinguished University Professorships “recognize senior faculty with exceptional scholarly or creative achievements,” and only seven were appointed this year.
Mike Solomon is one of nine University of Michigan faculty members recently elected fellows of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS). He received this honor for his distinguished contributions to the field of colloid science, particularly for creating and understanding colloidal self-assemblies with new symmetries and new functions.
The American Chemical Society (ACS) has announced that Nicholas Kotov will receive the 2017 ACS Award in Colloid Chemistry. This award recognizes and encourages outstanding scientific contributions to colloid chemistry. Kotov was recognized for his “foundational work on self-organization of nanoparticles in dispersions and on surfaces.”
Lola Eniola Adefeso has been named a Senior Fellow of the Michigan Society of Fellows by President Mark Schlissel. The Society of Fellows was established in the Rackham Graduate School and is an interdisciplinary group of outstanding scholars at Michigan
Suljo Linic is the recipient of the 2017 Paul H. Emmett Award in Fundamental Catalysis from the North American Catalysis Society (NACS). He received this award in recognition of his groundbreaking contributions at the interface of heterogeneous catalysis, surface chemistry, nanoscience, and computational catalysis.
- Total Research Expenditures: $15,044,909
- Total Externally Sponsored Research Expenditures: 12,000,000
- Papers published: 138
- Invention Disclosures: 87
- Patents: 51
- Total Lab Space: 41,714 SF
- Student and Research Offices: 23,756 SF
- Clean Room: 3029 H.H. Dow
- Confocal Microscope Lab: 3075 H.H. Dow
- Electron Microbeam Analysis Laboratory (EMAL): West basement of Space Research Building
- Mammalian Cell Culture Lab: 3327 G.G. Brown
- Faculty: 26 tenured or tenure-track, 7 joint appointed
- National Academy Members: 5
- National Science Foundation Career Awards: 11
- Named Professorships: 13
- Internal Awards: 28 U-M and College of Engineering awards for teaching, research, and service
- National/International Awards: 13 American Institute of Chemical Engineering (AIChE) Awards; 39 awards from other national societies and organizations
- Editorships & Editorial Boards: 7
For more information and Chemical Engineering news, visit engin.umich.edu/che.