Health services researchers spend every day focused on making healthcare more accessible, affordable, safe and effective. The Institute for Healthcare Policy & Innovation (IHPI) is fortunate to be housed in an extraordinary environment at the NCRC – the ideal location for collaboration and innovation. The NCRC provides the physical space for members of IHPI to put their heads together to think bigger and better.
We continue to change our space, and to be changed by it
Today, more than 460 health service researchers from 17 U-M schools, colleges, and institutes, alongside 5 partner organizations are all actively engaged members of IHPI. Over the last year alone, IHPI has added 60 new members. As our membership and diverse project portfolios expand, so does the space IHPI occupies within the NCRC. With every additional square foot, IHPI is able to open new avenues for realizing its mission of collaboration.
The current IHPI footprint includes approximately 87,000 square feet of formal and informal offices and meeting spaces in three NCRC buildings – 10, 14 and 16 – the latter serving as IHPI’s home base. The newest spaces are designed to be welcoming thought havens for all – including those with offices, labs, clinics and classrooms located elsewhere on and off the U-M campus.
Collaboration. Evidence. Impact.
With grant funding currently at 531 active awards totaling over $580 million, IHPI is fueling a movement to reshape health services research and policy.
The Data and Methods Hub: Big plans for Big Data
Data is the raw material of IHPI’s work. The Data and Methods Team based at NCRC offers members access to large data sets and connections with innovators in study methodology. The Team’s efforts are already paying dividends, fostering greater professional development, enhancing synergies and advancing the overall quality of IHPI member projects.
A Focus on Education and Training
Developing tomorrow’s leaders
Central to IHPI’s mission is providing a fertile training ground for students and professionals to learn both the science and the art of conducting health services research. Through numerous education and training platforms, IHPI is preparing the next generation of leaders in health service research and policy.
Extending our reach and national presence
From the start, IHPI has aimed to create a stronger connection between the academic community and the “outside world” to ensure that members’ work has the broadest possible reach and impact. Tapping the expertise of leaders outside the university has been a key component of the plan for growth. In 2015, ten recognized leaders in healthcare policy and delivery, health services research, business, and philanthropy were named inaugural members of IHPI’s new National Advisory Board:
- David Blumenthal, M.D., M.P.P., President and Chief Executive Officer, Commonwealth Fund
- Garth Graham, M.D., M.P.H., President, Aetna Foundation
- James K. Haveman, M.S.W., Former Director, Michigan Department of Community Health
- Michael M. E. Johns, M.D., Professor, Schools of Medicine and Public Health, Emory University
- Gary S. Kaplan, M.D., FACP, FACMPE, FACPE, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Virginia Mason Health System
- Paul McCreadie, M.B.A., M.S., Managing Director, Arboretum Ventures
- Lewis G. Sandy, M.D., FACP, Executive Vice President, Clinical Advancement, UnitedHealth Group
- Lisa Simpson, M.D., B.Ch., M.P.H., FAAP, President and Chief Executive Officer, AcademyHealth
- Antonia M. Villarruel, Ph.D., FAAN, Dean, School of Nursing, University of Pennsylvania
- Gail R. Wilensky, Ph.D., Senior Fellow, Project HOPE
For more information visit IHPI’s website: http://ihpi.umich.edu